Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Things that make you go hmmmm.......


Navigating life as a white male in our society has its benefits, I mean lets face it “White Male Privilege” is not so much an argument as it is a fact. This can be broken down even further to conclude that simply being a male in America today is a “win.” So, imagine my surprise when I read a recent research study explaining how society’s expectations for men can be just as daunting, and damaging, to them as similar impositions can be to women.

I suppose I wasn’t alone in my astonishment, as scholar Neil Alperstein pointed out, “only recently has the concern for the depiction of men in advertising started to emerge.” Interestingly, the formula for the ideal man is not that different than the one for women. According to advertisers, it just a matter of changing out the ingredients!

For the “perfect American woman” you must include a dash of sass, a few gallons of makeup, a good dose of submission and domesticity, and finally a strong resistance to excessive weight or body fat of any kind. Whereas, for the “ideal American man,” one must combine a good dose of machismo and individualism, a dash of love for the great outdoors, a pack of six highly visible abdominals, and finally a wild abandon for responsibility and commitment of any kind.

Wow…seems simple! Thanks advertisers! I mean, if it’s portrayed on T.V. then it must be the “norm,” or standard everyone should aim for…. right?

That’s a pretty high standard for most men, I would assume. So, I guess, I’ll have to say good luck to all those Average Joes out there. I mean, it sucks, but I guess you’ll just have to hang out will all of us Plain Janes, who have fallen short in regards to the “recipe for success” as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment